Afghans based in Vancouver - Canada and wish to obtain Machine-Readable Afghan Passports should read the following instructions carefully.
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING AFGHAN PASSPORT
- APPOINTMENTS: Applicants residing in BC MUST book an appointment online prior to coming to the Consulate. Clients with no prior appointment will not be serviced. For booking an appointment please refer to the bottom of this page.
- VISIT IN PERSON: An applicant residing in BC MUST visit the Consulate General in-person on the date and time of their appointment. Applications sent to the Consulate General via post and/or applications in the absence of the applicant will NOT be processed.
Note: Applicants residing outside of BC may submit their applications by MAIL.
- APPLICATION: An application must be filled carefully in BLOCK letters in English and Dari/Pashto for each applicant, with special attention to name and surname’s spelling, date of birth (Day/Month/Year), height, occupation and other specifics and accurate current address in Canada. Application forms can be downloaded from this page.
- PASSPORT FEE:
The fee for one passport with the duration of 5 years normal process is 145.USD and for the urgent process is 170.USD.
The fee for normal 10- years 245.USD and for urgent process 270.USD,
The normal process takes about up to 20 business days, and the urgent process takes up to 10 business days.
Please submit your money order per application, payable to “Consulate General of Afghanistan in Vancouver- Canada.”
- TAZKIRA (AFGHAN NATIONAL ID): Applicants must provide their original Tazkira to the Consulate General along with the application. If the applicant’s Tazkira is not verified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a copy of it will be sent to the National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) in Afghanistan for verification. A new machine-readable passport will only be issued once the Tazkira is verified by NSIA. (a copy of Tazkira is acceptable as long as readable). All applicants who do not possess verified Tazkiras should apply for Absentee Tazkira (Please refer to relevant section for further information on Absentee Tazkiras). .
- PHOTOS: Two identical passport photos size 2×2 inches (the name and the complete address. The photographer must put a stamp written information showing the:
a) Date the photo was taken
b) Name and complete address of the photo studio
- PREVIOUS PASSPORT: The applicant must return the original of his/her old and/or expired passport(s) to the Consulate General upon lodging the application, if available. If pervious passport has been lost or stolen, please submit a police report with your application and a copy of passport.
- Landing permit or First Canadian Visa: The applicant must provide the Canadian visa he/she arrived upon or the Landing permit..
- CHILDREN: If a child was born in Canada and would like to apply for an Afghan passport, his/her parents, must provide:
a) Tazkira of the parents, either original or copy. The above procedure on Tazkira will apply.
b) Child’s Birth Certificate must be presented to the General Consulate along with the application. The Certificate must contain the names of both father and mother of the child.
c) Marriage Certificate of the parents must be presented to the consulate along with the application.
d) Consent letter, signed by both parents.
e) a copy of document verifying residency status of parents and in Canada such as Canadian Passport, Citizenship ID, Permanent Residence Card, and Refugee Protection Claimant Documents.
f) If the parents are not together, a proof of separation, divorce or guardian document is required.
- PROOF OF RESIDENCE: Provide a document verifying your current address, such as driving license, utility bills, et cetera.
- EXPRESS/REGISTERED SELF-ADDRESSED RETURN ENVELOPE: The applicants outside of BC are required to provide an Express/Registered self-addressed envelope. General Consulate will use the Express/Registered envelope to send your NEW passport to the designated address provided on the envelope. Please note that all other types of envelopes will not be accepted. The applicants are also required to note the “Tracking number” of the Express Post to enable them to track their post.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply directly to the Consulate General, applications submitted to the Consulate General by any agency or on behalf will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.
- Ensure you write your full name in Dari/Pashto on the application. Application that are incomplete and/or missing necessary document will not be proceed.
- Applicant will not receive a refund after submitting the application.
- Applicants are requested to avoid making any travel arrangements before receiving their passports. The Consulate will not accept any responsibility for delay in processing passports applications or changes in clients travel plans.
- Applicants that have not completed 18 years, will only be issued passport with 5 years validity.
READY TO APPLY?
If you have read the information given above and are ready to apply, please download a passport form, if you are applying in with family, please book separate online appointments!